The wait for Samsung’s Tizen smartphone may soon be over. Samsung Electronics and Intel have sent out invitations for the press event to the held on February 23 in Barcelona, a day before Mobile World Congress officially kick-starts.
The invitation does not specify the details of the devices to be unveiled by both the companies but it does mention that Tizen OS running on actual devices will be showcased. The invite promises “an exclusive sneak preview of the newest Tizen devices as well as an opportunity to learn about the major milestones that the Tizen project has hit since last year’s event.”
This year we saw the first smartphones based on the Firefox OS and Sailfish OS making its way to the market. The first Tizen running smartphones were supposed to be released this year but got delayed till next year. Analyst Geoff Blaber of CCS Insight observes that Samsung needs to show that Tizen still remains a contender, doing so would cement Samsungs mobile foundation in the market. Tizen would act as a back-up for Samsung in case Android takes a turn for the worse.
At a Tizen event attended by Blaber and other industry people at this year’s Mobile world Congress, operators like Orange and Docomo had said that they would put up their first smartphone on sale by the second half of the year. Samsung had demonstrated the 2.0 version of Tizen but the OS seemed far from mature at that stage.
In November a number of companies including Panasonic, eBay, Sharp, McAfee, and Intel had backed Tizen. Wireless operator Orange stated had stated that it was reassessing its strategy along with the Tizen community in terms of details such as features, price points and market positioning.
Samsung said it was “committed to delivering the best mobile experience based on the open platform and a fully ready ecosystem around it.”
You can check out this developer hands-on video below.
Have you been eagerly waiting for Tizen OS? What are your views on the new OS? Do write to us with your views in the comments section provide below.