Samsung is following the fact – “The bigger, the better!” and it is continuously growing the screen size of its tablets. Till now, tablets generally came with the screen size of 10.1 inches. However, in Samsung’s 2014 CES presentation, they have launched two tablets of 12.2-inch screen size. Samsung thinks that this is the perfect size for a normal user to work on and if a high-resolution screen and various productivity tools are added to it, it can make a difference in the tablet market.
Let us discuss the features of Samsung’s Galaxy NotePRO and Galaxy TabPRO tablets in detail. Reports say that Samsung would launch four devices under the name of NotePRO and TabPRO.
The specs and features of the Galaxy NotePRO tablet would be similar to the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 edition). As far as the appearance of these devices is considered, they have a different look and feel with the new faux-leather back. An S-Pen stylus similar to its 10.1-inch sibling would accompany Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2. On the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy TabPRO is expected to arrive in three different variants – 8.4 inches, 10.1 inches and 12.2 inches screen.
Talking about the display screen, all the four tablets would come with a WQXGA display screen which results in a display resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels, an 8 megapixel camera with various photo editing options, the latest Android 4.4 KitKat operating system and connectivity wise, there would be either 3G or LTE or both.
The processor driving the power of both these tablets would be either an Exynos 5 Octa processor (1.9 GHz quad core + 1.3 GHz quad core) or a quad core Snapdragon 800 processor clocked at a frequency of 2.3 GHz. In terms of the storage capacity, the 12.2 inch devices would have either 32 GB storage or 64 GB storage while the 8.4 inch and the 10.1 inch models will contain either 16 GB or 32 GB storage capacity. Additionally, there would be an option to expand the memory storage of the devices via the microSD card slot. There would be a USB 3.0 port for the 12.2 inch devices and a USB 2.0 port for the 8.4 inch and 10.1 inch models.
The 12.2 inch version is definitely heavier and after holding it for a while; you might prefer to keep it down from time to time. But still, the design of the tablet is stylish and sleek and is a perfect blend of high resolution plus portability.
These tablets would also feature the Magazine UX interface implemented by Samsung. It would allow users to organize the content on different dashboards as per their requirement and ease of access. The multi-window tool provided on-screen would allow the users to split the screen into 4 different windows.
JK Shin, CEO and President of IT & Mobile Division, Samsung Electronics said in a press release:
We created the Galaxy NotePRO and TabPRO series to kick-off a year in which Samsung truly establishes its leadership in the tablet market. This new line offers the best-in-class content consumption and productivity, combining a stunning viewing experience with Samsung’s design legacy. The Samsung Galaxy NotePRO and TabPRO truly demonstrate our commitment to providing our customers with extraordinarily versatile product offerings, tailored to tablet users of every description.
As far as the availability of these devices in the gadget market is concerned, you can expect them to be available by the first quarter of 2014. Samsung has not yet announced the retail of all the announced devices.
Key Specifications of Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
- 12.2 inch Super Clear LCD (2,560 x 1,600 resolution)
- S Pen with Pen Window multitasking option.
- 3 GB RAM.
- Android 4.4 KitKat
- Snapdragon 800 chipset or Exynos 5 Octa processor
- 8MP camera with 1080p video shooting capabilities.
- Various goodies come as a gift with the purchase of Samsung Galaxy Note Pro – Cisco WebEx Meetings for conferencing, Sketchbook Pro app, Bitcasa, Dropbox, Hancom Office and much more.
- Battery capacity is that of 9500 mAh.
Key Specifications of Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro
- It comes in three different sizes – 12.2 inch, 10.1 inch and 8.4 inch (2,560 x 1,600 Super Clear LCD).
- The S Pen stylus will not be available with these models.
- The 12.2-inch version would have the same features as that of Samsung Galaxy NotePro 12.2.
- The 10.1-inch version is smaller and lighter than the 12.2 inch one. Instead of 3 GB, this version would have 2 GB RAM and a smaller battery of 8,220 mAh capacity.
- In the 8.4 inch version, the battery capacity is that of 4800 mAh but rest of the specs are same as the 10.1 inch model (Exynos 5 Octa chipset is not available for this version)
What are your thoughts on this new range of tablets launched by Samsung? Are you planning to buy one? Do let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.