According to Mary Jo Foley, the first update for Windows 8.1 is scheduled for a launch on March 11 which happens to be the traditional Patch Tuesday for Microsoft. She mentions in ZDNet that this information comes from her “trusted” sources and the update is expected to be relatively minor as compared to Windows 8.1 itself.
We may not see many features being introduced since it is a minor update. According to the several leaks and speculations that have done the rounds and the latest one from Foley, we bring to you a gist of what you can expect in the update.
- Disk space and memory requirements for Windows will be reduced further so that Windows 8.1 Update 1 is able to run on smaller and tablets as well.
- The leaked screen shots point to the ability to pin Windows Store apps and modern UI apps to their desktop task bars. The thumbnail previews will now be accessible from the Desktop taskbar.
- The Metro style apps will have a close button that would make it easier for the users to close the apps running on their devices, making is easy especially for those using keyboards and mouse.
- Foley mentions that the rumours doing the rounds about the ‘Start menu’ may not come in Update 1 but may follow later in Update 2 or return in Windows “Threshold” that is expected to be released in April 2015.
- Latest screenshot leaks from WZor indicate a dedicated power and search buttons on the home screen. It is also expected to feature a right-click context menu for mouse users.
Both the releases, Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Windows Phone 8.1 are relatively close to each other with Windows 8.1 Update 1 being focused primarily on making Windows 8.1 useful for business users.
The Windows 8.1 update 1 release is expected to come ahead of the Microsoft’s BUILD conference which starts from April 2. The update will be delivered through Windows Update for free, rather than Windows Store that was used to deliver Windows 8.1.
What are your views and expectation on the first update for Windows 8.1? Do write to us with your comments in the section provided below.